5/08/2012

Container Gardening

I live on 2 beautiful acres and love to get my hands dirty gardening.  However, this year, the 2 acres is over grown with weeds and grass about 2 feet high right now and the lawnmower is broke.  Prayerfully it will be fixed soon!!!  I don't have the finances to purchase and build my square foot garden beds this year, so I opted for something I never thought I would need on 2 acres of land.  I'm growing a few things in pots and a wheelbarrow.

I was literally sick to my stomach seeing all the gardens in our area and a few friends have gardens as well.  I've garden almost every year we've been in the country, so when I'm unable to, it just doesn't feel right to me.  So, we had  a wheelbarrow that was wheel-less and I filled it with some good soil, also inherited my mother's pots and filled them with soil.  Then I began planting.  At the moment, I have 8 tomato plants and will need about 2 more.  We love tomatoes!  I've planted 7 asparagus plants that I got from a friend.  I also planted some onions and basil.  I've got to meet up with my friend again to get some of her mint clippings.  I planted basil with some of the tomatoes and will plant the mint with the other tomatoes.  They both help keep certain pests away from the tomatoes. 

I'm so excited over the little I was able to do.  I made a mini green house with a casserole dish and a plastic shower cap and planted some seeds I had...zucchini, cucumbers, and peppers.  Hopefully they will do well and I can get them in pots.  I will have all the ingredients at least for some awesome salsa!!!

I remember all the years we lived in apartments and all the plants I had growing in pots EVERYWHERE..inside and outside.  I had my house plants inside and I had pots of various vegetables growing outside.  I had the most fun and it was so delicious to be able to go outside and pick the fresh veggies from our front and back porch or balcony.  One year we bought the kids a small plastic kiddie pool and put it out front for them.  I got the grand idea to get another one and put holes in the bottom for drainage and filled it with soil on our back porch.  I grew tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, lettuce, onions, and peppers.  I never let the fact that we were in small spaces stop me from growing some of our food.  It was fun!  It was delicious!  It was preparation for the 2 acres.  I just never thought I'd have to do it again, but I'm grateful that I know how. 

Hmmmmm, speaking of which, I think I just may go get one of those small pools and do a repeat!!!! 

So do you have a garden this year?  Have I inspired you to plant some things in pots? 

Tasha

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails