1/26/2009

Home-made Laundry Soap

I did it!!!! I finally made my own laundry soap, as well as fabric softener.

The fabric softener was easy, but I am still looking for a home-made version. For the fabric softener, I poured a bottle of fabric softener into a 5 gallon bucket and then added 2 bottles of water. Cut 4 sponges in half and dropped them in as well.
What you do is put your clothes in the dryer and squeeze one of the sponges out (you don't want or need it to be drenched). Throw it in with the clothes and start the dryer as usual and voila.

The laundry soap, well, I got that recipe from the Duggar's
I didn't have the Fels Naptha, so replaced that with Ivory. I also picked up a LARGE box of baking soda in the laundry section, when I thought I was picking up washing soda. Then I googled and read that I could put the amount of baking soda I needed, in the oven for 30 min. on 350 and then use it. I did this.
It is supposed to gel after 24 hours and it did not. I was disappointed and was trying to figure out how to fix this problem. However, 24 hours later I opened the lid and it gelled. I stirred in my lavender oil (because the fabric softener was also lavender scented) and it smelled wonderful.

I was totally excited. I spent approx. $10 and got 10 gallons of laundry soap. With the amount suggested for a front load washing machine, I won't need to make laundry soap for a while. It says to use 1/4 cup per load and that would give me about 640 loads of laundry soap!!!

Next up, dish liquid and hand soap! Hmmmmmmmmmmm, wonder what else I can make and save money.

Oh and for those that are wondering if it cleaned our clothes...Y-E-S!!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails